Tuesday, April 12, 2011

And a Down... WAY down...

And the roller-coaster takes a swing in the other direction...
Poor Barney is not doing well and I fear that he may not be with us much longer...

A few weeks ago, during one of the many plunges back into winter temps we have seen many of this spring, Barney came up very lame.  He was limping around badly and he was very uncomfortable...  Daily doses of bute seemed to alleviate his pain and within a week he seemed back to normal

Unfortunately, yesterday Barney was not good at all.   Out of the blue, he was walking VERY sore on all four feet and looked miserable.  I bedded his lean-to thick with straw, we got him a bucket of water so he wouldn't have to travel far to the water tank, and we put lots of hay in there for him to eat.  I hand feed him every night with his equine senior and I hate to say that he is also losing weight.

I will not let him suffer.  I will not let him be in pain if I can help it.  I don't want to let him go - he is a link to my childhood and to my late uncle and is a friend I talk to every day...  but friends have to do what is best for each other and I think my friend will soon be with me only in my heart.

Perhaps a few days of bute and an increase in feed will give him a last hoorrah...  Perhaps not??   Barney has lived a long and full life either way - I know it will be a hard day when we say goodbye.

It is a hard thing to do, but be it a bird, a sheep, a horse, a dog, a donkey - any animal in my care...   I will always be able to look myself in the mirror and say that I had the strength and character to do the right thing when the time comes.  No animal will ever needlessly suffer because I don't want to make the hard choice.

Will keep you updated on Barney...  in the meantime, you can go back and read about my good friend here: One Mighty Fine Ass

5 comments:

  1. I had to put my dog, Shelby, down... it was the hardest thing in the world for me to do... especially putting your needs aside for the betterment of the them. I feel your pain... but let's hope he gets better :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thinking of u mately
    always a hard job looking after a very poorly animal

    ReplyDelete
  3. So hard to do what's best. Stay strong. Our thoughts will be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's tough, but that's the price we pay for being blessed by their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a hard part of having furry friends of any kind. I have been there once with my soul mate in fur, my first Boxer "Major". It was without a doubt and still is... well it was a hard time....

    We approach this time with Kota, our current Boxer who is 11 1/2 that is old old for a Boxer Boy. But we have said the same we will not selfishly keep him past what is a good life for him.

    Maybe your furry friend will get better, I hope he does.

    ReplyDelete