Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Clun Forest Ewes - Ready for lambs...

I mentioned that we finally got around to vaccinating, de-worming, trimming feet, and shearing the Clun Forest ewes this past weekend...  I had wanted to get some nice pictures posted of the girls in their birthday suits but we have had nothing but snow, rain, and wind for the past few days.

The girls look great and their udders are filling up nicely, indicating to me that X63 (the Clun Forest ram) got his job done in record time...



one of my older girls carrying some lambs...

I am especially excited about how well the yearling ewe looks...  This is the first time that we have ever bred a ewe lamb.  It is a standard practice among Clun Forest sheep breeders to breed ewe lambs and since this ewe looked mature enough when fall arrived, we decided to give it a go.  That being said, we have been extremely diligent about trying to monitor her body condition during pregnancy... (this can be a challenge when looking at a sheep through 3 - 4 inches of wool!)

Too skinny and her growth and health could be compromised, too fat and she may have problems lambing... 

After shearing on Saturday, I think she looks PERFECT!!!  I love it when a plan comes together!

she has nice length of body and a beautiful topline...

beautiful little udder started and nice width of body as well...

I really like this girl... (can you tell?!?!?!?)

3 comments:

  1. They do all look great!

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell them lambs we'll be there this weekend so we'd like to see some babies!!

    ReplyDelete