Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Checking in...

Man, am I ever tired...  The last few nights I have been excited and have not slept well. 

Ripped Ear is HUGE!  I don't think we have ever had a border cheviot ewe get as big as she is - she is not fat - it is lambs...  the question is, HOW MANY?!?!?!  I tried to get some photos that show how big she is and for whatever reason, the pictures just don't show her massive belly...   What's up with that?!?!  I can walk past a chocolate cake and suddenly any picture of me looks like I should win the "rate of gain" contest in the livestock tent at the county fair?!?!?!  Just not right.

Last night, I could tell that Ripped Ear's udder had filled up quite a bit.  After eating her dinner, she was extremely uncomfortable and spent most of the night standing and alternately lifting her back legs while making some pitiful noises. We checked on her a number of times through the night and I think the lambs are moving into position -  her body is preparing to push those little guys out.

By this morning, her bag is even more full of colostrum and I think she is on track to be the first to lamb.  If she gets any bigger, I am afraid we may have to scrape her off the barn walls when she explodes...

In other news, Wayne finished the first towel on the loom yesterday and started the 2nd one...  He picked a different color for the weft - we are planning to make each one a little different.  I talked to my sister yesterday and she said she studied the picture I had posted of the towel progress VERY CLOSELY...  She is convinced that she could make out the words "BIRTHDAY PRESENT FOR MICHELLE" in the pattern.  I had not noticed it before, but she is very observant.   I thought it had said something like "BUY IT NOW FOR THREE EASY PAYMENTS...." but it can be so hard to make these things out.

The last piece of news is that I have signed up for ZUMBA INSTRUCTOR TRAINING on April 9th in Novi, Michigan!  That's right folks, if you aren't sick of hearing about ZUMBA now, JUST WAIT!!!!  I am very excited! 

So many "relatively" new found passions in my life that I could never have expected, but now can't imagine being without...  In the words of a very wise friend who repeats this as his mantra, I must admit that "LIFE IS GOOD"...

8 comments:

  1. Wow, cool that you'll be a Zumba instructor.
    It does sound like Life is Good :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that pattern too. I hope the mommies do well. Can't wait to see those babies!! Show us a picture of the weaving!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wont complain too much again for being jaded..lambing must be one of the most tiring times for any farmer!
    get some rest if you can

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooohhhh Wow, it sounds like Ripped Ear is getting very close to hatching her lambies! I think you are going to have to get new business cards to list all the things you do now.....Zumba Instructor...cool. I think your sister is right about that towel!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you say triplets ... Or ONE very BIG lamb! Hope all goes well with her ... Can't wait to see your lambs.
    I still have 10 to go yet.
    Happy Lambing!
    Teri♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. I certainly hope Ripped Ear doesn't explode. I can hardly wait to see the lambs! Congrats on taking your instructor class.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so right Rich ... Life IS good! And the more you think/say that ... the better it gets.

    I am living the LIFE that I ordered ... but I seem to have someone else's weather order. This is NOT the weather that I ordered as I wait for my first lambs next week ... LOL. Here's hoping that you guys have an awesome lambing season!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I had some photos that didn't show my massive belly in the past :)

    ReplyDelete