Thursday, January 27, 2011

Fitness Guru for a Day...

I am not sure that I have mentioned my current obsession with a certain fitness class...

...well, I haven't mentioned it very much.

This class is a GREAT time...  A combination of latin dance, cardio-aerobics, and the best dance party you have ever been to.  Zumba ROCKS!

So last night I arrived for Wednesday night class and found that the instructor was not there yet?!?!  Pretty unusual for her, but it happens.  About 10 minutes before the class was to start, her truck came pulling in to the parking lot and out jumped her husband.

It turns out that about 20 minutes earlier, she starting vommiting violently and was unable to leave the safety of her bathroom.  It was much too late to notify anyone that class was cancelled so she sent her husband with the CD of the music and instruction that "Rich and Rachel know the songs and can run the class and everyone can Zumba for free tonight".  WHAT?  First the Stylish Blogger Award and now Fitness Guru of the Day?  Pinch me!

Had I found out any earlier that I would be thrown into teaching the class, I may have had a chance to get nervous, but luckily by this time there were only a few minutes to get my shoes on and get started.  It was a full house and we had at least 30 people Zumba-ing their little hearts out.

What a RIOT!!!  I quickly settled in to my preferred and sought after role as COA (center of attention) and probably hammed it up just enough to be entertaining (or completely annoying).  I hardly could believe that running a group excercise class could be so much fun and by the end, phrases such as "TIGHTEN UP THOSE ABS" and "BURN OFF THAT CHEESECAKE" were flowing out of my mouth like I was auditioning for the role of Richard Simmons.

Who knows what the future holds?  Maybe becoming a certified instructor?  Maybe nothing?  But I do know that I had a great time and got more than my minimum required dose of approval from my peers (which as I mentioned has been a lifelong need).

This week the world may have lost Jack Lalanne, but another fitness guru has risen from the ashes...

...or smelled like the asses?

3 comments:

  1. Good thing you didn't have advanced notice. Sounds like fun... I've never been to Zumba, but I love latin dancing. I just had my first yoga class the other day... fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Confess--did you put something in your instructor's lunch so you could be center of attention? Glad you had fun!

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. David - if you like Latin Dance you would love Zumba, but not all instructors are created equal. I went to a few Yoga/Pilates classes and loved them

    Teresa - who told you??? Nobody was supposed to figure that one out! :)

    ReplyDelete