Wednesday, January 19, 2011

It's Beautiful, but it's COLD!

The last few days, temperatures have been up and down...  Tuesday morning I woke to find the thermometer reading above freezing for the first time in a while and a light rain was falling.  By the time I made it to work, the rain had turned to snow and the temperatures fell back down in the high 20s for the rest of the day.  Today has been another mixed bag and by the time evening chore time hit temps settled in the mid teens.  For some reason, I was very cold and could not get warmed up until I went to Zumba class.

The ram's broken horn appears to be healing nicely... it doesn't look like his injury has slowed him down in the least.  Some of the ewes are starting to get big... 
The Cluns eating their hay...

The Merinos are starting to show...

Pretty Cheviot Ewes...

Plenty of room at the hay feeders...

Zoey eating hay...

 
Handsome peacock begging for cat food...

Frozen driveway...

A cold and beautiful sky painted by the setting sun...

Winter in Michigan can be so beautiful...  Stay warm!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful! We've been pretty cold here too. Your peacock is very handsome.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are due for -30F again this weekend. I am bracing for it.

    Your ewes look great. Rich, are your smaller hay feeders covered? Does that make life easier? Also, did you build these from plans? I need to build some hay feeders for my barn paddock and I'm admiring yours. For indoor sheep feeders I built the ones at Premier but I think yours might be nicer. I also wondered if you built different hay feeders for your horses (I have a horse and cattle).
    Thanks for your posts and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Teresa and Teri,

    Yes, the small hay feeders are covered and it helps a great deal to keep the hay from getting wet and being wasted. Eventually I want to cover the larger ones too, but they are working pretty well open (I would make half covers so each long feeder would have two coveres).

    At least once a week I pull out the armful of grass stalks that they are not eating and spread it in the shelters as extra bedding.

    The design for those feeders is our own and I LOVE them. We had tried a few different designs over the years and this one really seems to adress most of my concerns (less hay wasted, less fleeces ruined by hay chaff, lots of space, still movable)

    Since you are interested, I will take some detailed pictures, measurements, and make a posting about the design this weekend

    ReplyDelete