Sunday, January 16, 2011

Lambing Barn is Ready to go...

The big project this weekend was getting the lambing barn rearranged, cleaned, and set up to move the ewes in for shearing very soon.  We have an area in the barn that is sometimes storage and other times a lambing pen and this year it had gotten pretty cluttered and messy.
Feeders, trimming stand, horse carts, and garbage needed to be organized and moved.
On Friday I got most everything cleared and put away.  This took longer than you might think because I didn't just want to move the clutter to another area but rather put things in their place.  It is always nice to be able to find something when you want to use it later...
Friday's Progress

Saturday was busier yet.  We took down the fence that had previously separated the two pens to make one large indoor lambing area, I swept up all of the rouge hay, straw, dirt, chicken feathers, etc which was deposited over the summer, and put up the pen walls we had stored against the wall.  I also moved the hay feeders, mineral feeder, and water tank in place and things are looking good again.



All that is left is to spread some straw, fill the water tank, and move the ewes in and we'll be ready for lambs to start hitting the ground!  We are just over a month away from our first possible lambing date.  Ready... Set....

8 comments:

  1. Very impressive! That you are ready a month away and that it is so nice and big and neat.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember my mother telling me that some of the men in her family used to sleep in the barn during lambing season in order to always be there if they were needed. That's bad enough in West Virginia, I can only imagine trying it farther north.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great ... Okay to get to my place you take rte ... just kidding ... Yeah, I know, I just told hubby we have got to get fresh bedding out there ... I am just about 3-4 weeks away I'd say.
    Hope lambing goes well for you.
    Teri♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Your lambing barn is beautiful, so big and airy and organized. I have about 1/10th the space and am pea-green with envy! However it is always good to see nicer operations and dream...
    I have been enjoying reading your blog. Thanks!
    Selden

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for all of the great comments. I will definately make trips to the barn in the night but will not be sleeping there!

    Morty, I do NOT do windows, but my grandmother DID teach my sister the CORRECT way to do them.

    Selden, thank you - it is a work in progress and did not start off as nice as it is today. We upgrade and update as we are able - it really makes it feel like an accomplishment when you start with none and build up from there.

    ReplyDelete