Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Michigan Shepherd's Weekend

We have a really active sheep breeders organization here in Michigan and this weekend is the Michigan Sheep Breeders annual symposium.  There will be guest speakers, educational sessions, a trade show with a bunch of vendors, a dinner banquet, and the annual meeting. 

There are also a few different contests and this year I volunteered to organize a "Handspun Skein of Yarn" contest...  It just so happened that at the same time I suggested and offered to host the yarn contest, the person who ran the sock and mitten contest each year had to give them up - so they asked if I would take these on as well and I agreed.  Thank goodness I don't need to know anything about knitting socks and mittens - my knowledge is limited to wearing them.

This is always a great weekend and I am really looking forward to it.  Last year, the keynote speaker was Dr. Temple Grandin, the famed author and animal behaviorist.  She was really an entertaining and thoughtful speaker and it was awesome to have the opportunity to hear her in person.

I am also REALLY looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones.  It is great to talk with other sheep enthusiasts and to learn new stuff to bring back home and put to good use.

If any blog readers plan to attend, make sure you hunt me down to say "hi"!

2 comments:

  1. rich - thank you for the long and thoughtful post on my blog. it was helpful. i'm glad i popped over here and saw your blog as i'm gonna have to keep coming back! the symposium you're attending sounds fun. wow, how cool that temple grandin was there before and spoke! i bet that was a real priviledge. have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sylvia - I am glad you found our little blog - hope you find it worth reading from time to time.

    Indeed it was an amazing priviledge to see Temple Grandin speak in person... She will be a hard act to follow for the guest speakers this year!!!

    ReplyDelete