Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Winter White

Winter in Michigan means limited sunlight and I am usually at work in the rare moments when the sun does actually peek through the clouds.  A nice dusting of snow has covered the ground again - not enough to make the roads treacherous, just enough to make everything look crisp, clean, and BRIGHT - even when the sun isn't out.  I enjoyed the "winter white" this evening while feeding the animals.

My internal clock thinks that it is time to hibernate in the winter and so when the sun goes down I feel ready for sleep...  I really count on my Zumba classes to wake me up and last night we went up to the indoor track and walked for an hour.  After all of my poor holiday eating choices, it would be easy for me to return to my "sloth-like" lifestyle of days gone by (come home from work, feed the animals, feed ME, and sit in front of the TV for the rest of the night).

My goals for this month are to finish getting the lambing barn prepared to move the first group of ewes in, take an inventory of our lambing supplies and replenish as needed, and to make sure all of the buckets, feeders, and lambing jug panels are clean and ready for use.  It is exciting to think that we are less than 2 months away from our first lambs of 2011.

I guess these are the things that help me get through our dreary Michigan winters...  winter white, Zumba, and preparing for lambs...

3 comments:

  1. My son was stationed in Traverse City at the Coast Guard air station.Very nice area. Very little sunlight,a lot of snow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi olddog - Traverse City is VERY pretty (and they have AWESOME Cherries)... Their snow is much worse than ours - the whole west side of the state gets MASSIVE "Lake-Effect" snow from Lake Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree it's sometimes hard to get through the short days. I'll probably start a few seeds next month to last me until I start having kids over spring break.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete