Friday, January 28, 2011

Lean on Me...

When you own livestock, you somehow build a group of friends who have the same kinds of animals you do.  These groups become known as your "horse friends" or your "sheep friends".  You know that even if you have nothing else in common, you are both insane when it comes to at least one thing.

Tomorrow night we are going with "horse friends" to the annual meeting of the Shiawassee Trail Riders.  There will be a dinner, a benefit auction, and a club meeting, but no-one would go if the draw was the food, auction items, and meeting agenda...  nope, these will be passable, but could all likely use a little more flavor.  The draw will be the comradery, the socializing, and the friendships with people who share some insanity with us.

It is nice to have these groups of friends to talk to, learn from, and lean on when you need to. 

We spent most of the day at the farm of some "sheep friends" who were due to start lambing today but got called to work for part of the day.  They didn't see any signs of labor this morning but asked if we would keep watch for them just in case.  It is nice when people think enough of you to trust you with their farm...  it is even nicer when you know they feel they can ask you for a favor.  I like to be the kind of friend that can be called on.

We arrived at their farm around 10 AM and by the time we left at 4:30 PM, there were 5 ram lambs and a ewe lamb on the ground.  That's what you call a population explosion!  There were lambs shooting out left and right and more ewes showing subtle signs that they weren't far behind.

I am sure that these "sheep friends" will be up through the night checking on ewes and lambs.  As much as I am looking forward to the start of our own lambing season, right now I am looking forward to a good nights sleep.

Sleep tight and stay warm!

5 comments:

  1. It certainly does require having some of those trusted people you can count on to help out. My family tends to be my support system (goat kid pullers).

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not all folks are cut out for "pulling duty". Good to have friends to rely on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post cracked me up. I could picture you not knowing where to turn next. You deserve a good night's rest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are lucky to have sheep friends nearby. I am sort of a Lone Farmer in these mountains so most of my sheep and cow friends are on the internet. However, even those have been immense help -- the NACFA group diagnosed my ram with meningeal worm two years ago when my vet was stymied, helping me save his life; my internet cow friends have been equally invaluable with both ketosis and milk fever. Here's to friends, however one finds them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree...... I have a select group of "chicken" friends.. all mad as hatters

    ReplyDelete