Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Snowflakes and Feathers Fall

Ugly Dog's Farm has been home to many different kinds of poultry over the years - you name it and we probably had some at one time.  Currently there are guinea fowl, peacocks, and various chickens running the neighborhood.  The guineas seem to cut down on the bug population in the summer and make great "watch dogs", the chickens provide lots of free-range eggs for friends and family, and the peacocks are cool to look at and they drop beautiful tail feathers every summer.

A few years ago we upgraded our chicken coop with a nice big one the Amish built for us.  We decked the coop out with nest boxes, perches, and feeders.  Unfortunately, after we got most of the chickens trained to live in the coop, a raccoon got in and killed half of the birds one night.  The survivors of that night of flying feathers have been too traumatized to spend another night in there since.
Nesting boxes

Perches

Feeders

I have always been suprised at how well the birds deal with Michigan winters.  The peacocks have never liked being inside.  Even when they were penned up, they would rather roost outside in their flight pen than inside a coop.  Now that they are free to roam at will, they forego the opportunity to sleep in the dry coop and perch high in the barren willow or on the railing of the 2nd floor deck.  We have never lost a bird to weather exposure.
peacocks roosting in the willow at dusk with snowflakes falling

peacocks roosting on the deck railing

Finally we do have a chicken and a rooster who have found their way back to coop life...
Brave birds roosting in the coop of doom

7 comments:

  1. So tragic for those poor birds. It's amazing how traumatized they become after such an incident. I wish I could let my birds free range, but my dog(s) kill birds and the peafowl fly away to my neighbor's farm when they hear his peacock's call.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Dad's bird feeder on the back porch has been the target (or rather the birds have) of a hawk that has perched itself in the surrounding trees, taking a dive-bomb every so often for the sparrows. As a result, the feeder is empty most times... and when it's not, the birds look like they need a cigarette... they're so nervous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a very nice coop. I just received my McMurray catalog. They have so many great birds to order. I'm sure your coop will fill up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. peacocks are not a bird I like.
    the guinea fowl I love dearly!
    your coops are clean as a whistle and are a credit to you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the photo of the peafowl in the tress with the snow ... And I LOVE your coop!

    I had 35 of the Easter egg chicks ... they were just set in an outside pen to harden off ... it had rain for a couple of days ... and a nice little red fox family did me the honors of digging under the door ( ground was soft) and cleaned me out! maybe this year I will try again ... not sure tho ...
    I had little bantams that always would roost in the white pine trees in MA. They never came in ... Altho ...a few lost their combs to frost bite.
    I love my geese ... if they have open water ... nothing will get them.
    Stay warm.
    Teri♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Peacock feathers are $1.25 in the Theater House catalog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A mile maybe south of my house on Blossom and Oliverda Rds., Sherwood MI, one month ago, a HUGE bright blue peacock sat on a chicken coop way back on a deserted, junk-filled property. I was in my Jeep idling, and he screeched and screeched at me.

    A few days earlier, I saw 2 brown peacock together walking by the side of the road.

    I have been told that the peacock has been on the roads here for years. I think he was originally from the chicken coop and is being territorial.

    A nice neighbor on a back street from me is going to walk over with me to analyze the situation.

    I am wondering if the peacocks can be captured and put in Binder Park Zoo, Battle Creek. I am checking this out.

    The big one would have to be tranquillized and kept separate from people.

    After we have seized their property for years, the animals and birds are reclaiming their territories.

    I would like these peacocks to be safe from shooters.

    ReplyDelete