Saturday, February 12, 2011

Hair, Scarfs, Murder, Hooves, and Tattoos...

We got our haircuts yesterday morning and luckily avoided any head butting...  You asked for pictures of the new "dos" so I will try to post some, but so far haven't taken any pictures of myself that adequately capture my rugged good looks... (meaning that for some reason the pictures look more like ME than Russell Crowe or Brad Pitt).

We finished the first project on the Leclerc Floor Loom and the scarf really turned out well...
There is still quite a bit of warp left on the loom so we started a 2nd scarf.  It is kind of neat how changing the color of the yarn we are using for the weft totally changes the texture and look from the first one...
Yesterday evening we had a great time at a Murder Mystery Dinner put on by the Genesee County Agricultural Society.  They were raising money to benefit the county fair and it was a really nice event.  The food was top notch and we had a great table of people to sit with.  LOTS of fun, a silent auction, and fabulous prizes...  well, prizes anyway.

This morning it was off to Brown City to pick up the Amish guys who were scheduled to come out and trim our horses feet today.  These guys do a great job on the hooves and are really good people.  We have been using them for our horses manicuring needs for nearly 10 years and they work as hard or harder than just about anybody I know. 
My back hurts just watching them work...

Veterinarian Karl Gubert from All Creatures Veterinary Service in Metamora came out this afternoon to do an inspection of our sheep flock...   We are selling a black Merino ram to a someone in Ontario, Canada and one of the import requirements is a flock inspection within 30 days of importation of the animal.  We also had to tattoo the ram's right ear with "USA"...  luckily, we are well versed in tattooing sheep ears because it is a requirement for registering Clun Forest Sheep.

I think that the ram may have preferred "MOM" on his forearm, or maybe a picture of Mickey Mouse on his rump, but he will have to settle for "USA" on his ear.

Perhaps tomorrow, if the lighting is just right, I will be able to get the perfect shot of the new haircut...  in the meantime, rest assured that you aren't missing out on much.

5 comments:

  1. Back when I used to trail ride a little, I got to where I could trim my horse's feet myself when I didn't have shoes on him. I never tried shoeing, though. I let the farrier earn his money on that task, and EARN it he did. It's a back-breaking job.

    Did you build the frame, or does the farrier bring it with him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorges - We use the shoeing stocks for the draft horses. They are so big that it makes it much more safe for handling those big ole feet... There is an Amish guy who makes kits for the Stocks and we bought a kit years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad I don't have to trim any feet that are that big. Your scarves look great! It sounds like you've been quite busy lately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The scarf is wonderful and grey is there a better color, I think not. I love grey. Good job!

    Horses, well I think they are great as long as they are on one side of the fence and I am on the other. I know isn't that ridiculous, yep I am afraid of horses, though I think they are beautiful animals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Incidently, I'm with edenhills, the scarf looks great, and Texan is right too, you CAN'T go wrong with grey.

    ReplyDelete