Thursday, February 17, 2011

King of the Hill, Fruit of the Loom, & Eau de Toilette...

King of the Hill

This afternoon when I pulled in the driveway after driving home from work, there stood Gibbs the donkey on top of the manure pile...  You could tell that he wanted nothing more than for someone to challenge him for his position at the top of the heap.
Donkeys have a playfulness about them that is really endearing...

Fruit of the Loom

We finished scarf #2 on the Leclerc Floor Loom this evening and I think it turned out even nicer than the first one.  Who knew that weaving would be so much fun?!?!
Now I'm not saying that we aren't going to make any more scarfs, but I think it's time to expand our horizons and possibly try a different project...  how many scarfs do we need?!?!?
Maybe a blanket?  A table runner?  A super-hero cape to wear around the farm (with a big Z on the back for ZUMBA-MAN).  The possibilities are ENDLESS!

Eau do Toilette

Every year as winter turns to spring, I am always struck at the sudden change from the beautiful, white, pristine, snow covered landscape to the wet, brown, muddy, manure covered paddocks.  One of the realities of keeping livestock is that they are going to poop...  and poop...  and poop...  In the cold and ice of winter, there is little you can do to clean it up.  Manure is left to accumulate until spring.

Melting snow in winter paddocks does not become puddles of clean, fresh water...  it becomes Eau de Toilet (aka Toilet Water).  Eventually, the ground will thaw and the nutrients in the manure will help to fertilize spring pastures.  In the meantime it is a muddy mess.  I am not complaining though...  it's just another sign that Spring is on the way!

I have seen bottles of "Eau do Toilette" being sold in department stores for some pretty high prices...  I might need to order some little bottles and start filling them up - maybe call it "Scent of Spring"???   Order now - while supplies last!!!

3 comments:

  1. Yep. My barnyard is right there too. Love the scarf. I think I'm really getting sold on how cute donkeys are.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gibbs is such a rascal and a cutie pie too! ...a true adventurer, just like kids. If there is a hill (or a pile of hay), it must be climbed!! (Who cares that it is made of manure!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are experiencing the midwinter thaw as well. I've been outside for 2 days trying to move all the manure to one spot so the next deep freeze and deep snow can be pretty for a day. (And the next accumulation will begin.)
    I have been asking for a mini donkey for a few years. Every time I see any donkey I want one more and more.

    ReplyDelete