Friday, February 18, 2011

Love the Skin You're in...

I think that once or twice on this blog I have mentioned my love affair with Zumba...  Without wanting to sound like a broken record, I have to tell you once more how much I enjoy this class and how it really has helped me to change my life.

In February, our Zumba instructor offered "Love Yourself" discounts on Zumba classes if you had perfect attendance, posted on Facebook why you love Zumba, guessed the number of classes it would take to burn off a box of chocolates, or posted "before" and "after" pictures of yourself on her Facebook page.

I am all about a discount, but I had to admit that I was a little freaked out about posting a "before" picture...  This reluctance suprised me - what was my hang up?  I mean, anyone who knows me has known me fat and skinny...  they have seen it before.  What was the big deal??? 
After much introspection, I figured out that when I looked at those pictures I didn't see me with some extra pounds...  I saw an "out of control" Rich who I didn't want other people to see.  I love food...  I always will, but I think I ate to battle stress, to pass the time, to fill voids.  

2006 was a very hard year... my horse died, my co-worker became ill and passed away and I had to do both of our jobs while dealing with the loss, then my job moved to India and I was let go after 10 years on the job, my favorite uncle was battling terminal cancer...  It was a horrible time and I ate to find comfort.

Unfortunately that comfort was short lived...  I would put on weight and feel my blood pressure rise, grow too big for my clothes, and feel more out of control...  so I would eat more.  What a vicious circle!
Redefining my mindset on food, running for my health, partying at Zumba - all of these things put me back in control.  I feel healthier...  I have more energy...  I like to feel "in control" of my health.
I realize now that I can't turn my back on who I was - that person has helped to create who I am today... 

I don't want to get out of control again, but I think we should all learn to love the skin we're in...  how can anyone else like us if we don't like ourselves? 

I will always try to be a good, hard working, freakishly handsome, and unbelievably witty guy (I might have to settle for just freakish and unbelievable though).

11 comments:

  1. Congratulations - you look super fit! I love this post. It is hard to post pictures of the sides you don't want seen. About 2 weeks ago I wrote a post that includes shots of my abs at their worst - full term preggo w/ twins, and then now. They are far from perfect, but nothing bad. I still haven't gotten the nerve to hit the publish button, LOL. Maybe next week?

    ReplyDelete
  2. WTG!!! Its so great when people decide they are going to take control of their health! You have done a wonderful job doing that! Getting in control of your nutrition and finding exercise that you love to do Zumba and running. You really should be so very proud of yourself!!!! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I think the most important thing to health is that loving yourself. When you love yourself the rest will come naturally--eating healthy and being active.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! Change doesn't come easy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your accomplishment. You look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG!!!!! You look GREAT!!!!! Wow all that from Zumba ... I might have to find a class here.
    BTW, I LOVE your scarf's! And the answer to the question ... you can never have to many scarf's in Michigan!
    Hope your girls are doing okay ...
    Have a great week.
    Teri♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zumba here I come. My hubby and I both want to try it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. well done my man..... now I hink you look fine in both photos but I know that you need to feel good about being fit and healthy as well as slim!
    been there worn the t shirt!
    we are on diets at the moment and both have lost a stone each.....
    good for you

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job. I felt the same trepidation when I posted before and after pics, although mine weren't as dramatic as yours... I'm about to post some more.. and it's hard, but it does help to share it with the world... it keeps you honest.

    ReplyDelete