Thursday, February 24, 2011

Know your Food...

I don't think that enough people really put much thought in to where their food comes from...  Some of our young people today are never exposed to agriculture, and if they are, it is usually a "cleaned-up" or "sanitized" version of farming so as not to expose them to harsh realities that might scar them for life.  I think that is unfortunate.

We give away a lot of "free range" eggs to friends and family.  On more than one occasion we have had people tell us that they won't eat them...  They would rather have the "clean" ones that come from the grocery store.  As though the grocery store version of the egg has been fabricated by scientists wearing sterilized haz-mat suits in a clean-room.  I always say the same thing - "all eggs come out of a chicken's hind end - the only difference is that here you can see what the chicken ate...  you can see what MADE that egg."

It makes me sad to go to a restaurant and to see a kid throwing out half a hamburger.  It's not the kid's fault - they have been handed the "sanitized" version of farming so they haven't really had to face the hard truth that an animal lived and died and became that burger...  Nothing has made me respect my food more than to raise sheep and then to eat them.  Killing and butchering an animal is hard to do...  and it SHOULD be.  Throwing out a hamburger should be just has hard.

Our Amish friends often have some good insight...  they have mentioned before how our "English" young people are on average larger, sexually mature sooner, and are more sedentary than their kids.  We are eating meat and drinking milk from animals what are bred, fed, and medicated to grow larger, sexually mature sooner, and live more sedentary lives...  Is there a connection????

I encourage people to think about what they are eating...  I encourage them to purchase as much of their meats, eggs, and produce from local farms as they can.  Go and meet the farmer and see what the animals eat, how they live, and if you can stomach it - how they die as well. 

We feed our animals locally grown forage, whole grains, and important minerals, we provide them with fresh water, and make sure that they have the best life we can provide. 

I won't pretend that we don't ever eat processed foods and I can't say that we have not purchased meat from a grocery store, but we do make an effort to know our food, to respect our food, and to educate our peers...     I hope some of you may do the same!

7 comments:

  1. Great post! That's why I am a vegetarian--if an animal doesn't have to die for me to eat, I'm in favor of that. I have complete respect for people who can raise and eat their own meat. It really irritates me the amount of meat that is wasted, completely devaluing the lives of those animals.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. We give away a lot of our free range eggs as well. So far we haven't had anyone turn them down, but I'd be really disappointed in the person if we did.
    A well written and thoughtful post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good post! Very good points!

    Being a vegetarian of over 25 years I could not agree more about your point of throwing away the hamburger. A animal died to provide that food! But then I could go on and on about the waste of food in general in this country! I do not have issue with anyone who eats meat. Its a personal choice. My Dh is a meat eater.

    I totally agree about getting your meat as healthy as you can (meaning free from growth hormones, drugs, etc.) and if you can get it from a local farmer and go see how that animal lived and died for you to have that burger all the better!

    Its not just meat that is wasted, it amazes me how say broccoli, most of it is tossed out! When in fact the stalk and little leaves on it are very good! Brussels Sprouts we eat the sprouts other countries eat the sprouts and the leaves which are some of the most tasty greens you have ever eaten! I am not sure how we became so wasteful with our food.

    I guess when you live in the land of plenty its easy to be wasteful. Though I do think that could be changing. I think a renewed appreciation for our food would be a great thing to come from some of the times we are seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "We are eating meat and drinking milk from animals what are bred, fed, and medicated to grow larger, sexually mature sooner, and live more sedentary lives... Is there a connection????"

    Dern tootin' there's a connection!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sell my eggs to neighbours and ALWAYS leave the muck on them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my dear friend, Thank you! You know how I feel about homegrown food. I truly wish others could understand the difference between the grocery store and the local farmer. There is a terrible misconception that the farmer is more expensive, when actually they are not. Besides the taste is so different. The health benefits are tremendously different. Together we can continue to share the bnefits, one by one maybe we will help others to see the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am always grateful for any farm eggs I can get. I am fortunate enough to have a brother that has a farm and he is VERY generous! We have had many many dozens of wonderful tasting multi-colored eggs and I am always thrilled! He lives quite far away, and I never see him as often as I would like, but I know he thinks of me as often as I think of him. I agree that everyone should try to know their food sources and shop locally!! How many fossil fuels are burned getting meat and produce from farms across the nation? There are so many people that are just uneducated. We started with a local CSA and learned so much about vegetables, that now we have a garden each year that our kids help decide what we will grow. I am hoping to see my brother again over Easter weekend. Keep your fingers crossed!!!

    ReplyDelete