Monday, February 7, 2011

Hindsight...

Hindsight is not always 20/20.  Sometimes the past is as much of a mystery as the future, but I'm still absolutely convinced that we can learn valuable lessons from it anyway.

The ewe who lost her lamb is really doing great.  She is feeling good and even jumping around at feeding time - this is a GOOD thing.  All of the other ewes are doing fine and showing no signs that they are having any problems.  I have watched the flock very closely over the last few days and have noticed that one of my old girls is being very agressive at feeding time...

Most of the other ewes stand down to her without argument, but it is entirely possible that the ewe who lost her lamb had been hit broadside by the old bully.  It will probably remain a mystery.

LESSONS LEARNED:
  • In the future, I will not likely introduce two groups of ewes together so late in pregnancy.
  • I do have a very "common sense" vet who is not going to push me to spend money unnecessarily (Teresa pointed this out).
  • Experience continues to make me a more knowledgable shepherd (and hopefully some of you can learn from my experience too).
  • We have some great friends who continue to offer their experience, support, and encouragement (including many readers - thank you!).

Hindsight is not always 20/20.

Hindsound usually indicates that Hindsmell is not far behind.

Hindsmell stinks.

5 comments:

  1. We have goats not sheep, the bully situation can be a problem for sure! We have had it here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. learning curves
    dont you just love em!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you took my wool coat away from me in February, I would have a few things to say to you. The sheep look happy anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear she's doing well. It sounds like you've made some good choices to prevent this from happening again. I had one goat that was put into labor with a hard hit to the gut. Thankfully she was due in just a couple of days so it all worked out well.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Last year we were very excited about the two pregnant Lincoln ewes we bought. Anxiously awaiting lambing...it was about 10 days away. I heard one ewe bleating in the morning on my way to work. Couldn't investigate cuz I was all dressed up for work. At daylight she looked ok but was a bit anxious. The next day we went out into the hut in the pasture to find a dead lamb. We were devastated. We were getting ready to settle the two ewes in the barn for lambing but knew we had about a week. Hindsight, we think the other ewe hit her in the side and she started into labor. Because I didn't investigate that morning, the lamb froze. Rich, I was guilt-ridden, just mortified. Lesson learned and this year....oh you better believe the now three Lincoln ewes (and all the BFLs) are watched with an eagle eye.

    ReplyDelete