Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Financial Benefits of Freezing Water

Yesterday I told you about the bitter cold temperatures and the new ice sculpture opportunities freezing in our water tanks.  We run water tank deicers for the horses and donkeys, but currently have 5 different groups of sheep and I just can't bring myself to give that much additional financial funding to the electic company.

Tonight I have had to resort back to my yearly winter exercise routine of carrying buckets of fresh water to all of the sheep.  In addition to the cost savings on the electric bill, I am also saving a BUNCH of money on a gym membership.  I figure that if I squirrel away all of these saved pennies that one day when I come to my senses I will be able to afford to run more deicers.

Now if I could only get this ice sculpture business off and running we would really be cooking with fire...      (or rather ice?)

Hope everyone is staying warm!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Thanks for stopping by my little blog. I see you also have Cheviots ... Not many folks like them. Really if truth were to be known they are my favs. I love how they take care of themselves. Why do you breed so late? I would love to know. I breed early and sell early ... I have folks who want lambs for Easter pets and to raise. And then by May my Cheviot lambs (those that are not sold for pets or breeding) are ready to go to market. That way it cuts down on all that grass consumption by lambs and only my retained flock will be rotated.
    BTW, I know what you mean on the electric. We have frost free spigots in the pastures ... yeah right! So I keep several buckets off to the side, and rotate. Sometimes the water freezes before they even get to drink any. So I bring it into the garage over night and it thaws out, saves a bit on water.
    Love your blog ... what do you do with your wool and lambs?
    Teri♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Teri - I LOVE my cheviots!!! There is just something about them!?!!?? In the past we have always bred for March lambs and this year we have attempted to split our lambing into two sessions... partly because of barn space and partly because we thought we might like to offer lamb for sale later in the season. It is just a test - we'll see how it works. We sell quite a lot of breeding stock, freezer lamb, and we eat a lot of them too!!! I sell my wool as raw fleeces online and also have a bunch processed (we also spin).

    EXCITED to meet a fellow Cheviot enthusiast! I am also enjoying reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete