Monday, December 27, 2010

Post Christmas Recovery

As I begin to emerge from a very deep coma, brought on by overindulgence in holiday fare, I find myself very thankful that Christmas comes but once a year.  One of the hidden pitfalls of hosting a Holiday gathering is the leftovers...  here to tempt for days after the party is done.  Let's face it, we don't make health foods to serve to our holiday guests, and Wayne and I both have no concept of how to cook for 15 people.  We could likely have served 50 and still had leftovers.

We spent ALL of Christmas day recovering from the party...  other than feeding and watering the animals, we did not leave the house.  It was cold and snowing and the dogs claimed the seat closest to the wood stove.
I was pretty excited about a gift I received this year.  Wayne gave me a scarf made from 100% Merino Wool.  The yarn was all handspun on one of his wheels and woven on his Ashford Loom.  I love this scarf - it is nice and long and very comfortable.
For those of you who have never been exposed to spinning or weaving, it is very time consuming. There are many hours of labor put into a gift like this...  My sister suggested that the scarf was so nice that Wayne should consider making them and offering them for sale.  Once you explain waiting a year for a fleece to grow, paying to have it processed into roving, the hours spent spinning it into yarn, and finally weaving that yarn into the scarf...  For what you would have to price it at, you couldn't possibly compete with the ones for sale at the local retail giant.
I am on vacation from work this week and we took advantage of the day to pick up horse grain and poultry feed.  All of the animals are doing great with the cold temperatures (around 20 F at the moment).  I am thankful that the worst of my "holiday indulging" is over and it seems that tonights Zumba class may have pulled me back from the brink.

Thanks to everyone for your wonderful comments and holiday wishes!

3 comments:

  1. Ooo, the scarf the so cozy and warm! I think I may steal it. I got a awesome gift too, a heart shaped, opal necklace. My mom gave it to me.

    Hope you had a warm Christmas!

    Nanny Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful scarf! And I bet it is so soft and warm you just don't want to take it off! And YES, it is all costly and time consuming ... That is why you make them for special friends and family ... you would never get back what you have in.
    I made just a cowl scarf and between the spinning and knitting ... well, lets just say the only place that is going is around my neck!
    Hope you don't get the ice and that your horses are safe.
    Teri♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete