Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Worrisome Weather Forecast

Michigan winters can be totally unpredicatable...  I can remember in years past horseback riding in light-weight jackets on New Years Day and yet this year we haven't seen above freezing temps since the beginning of December.

The forecast for the end of this week is for warmer temps and the chance of rain.  You might think that a reprieve from the bitter cold temps of winter would be a welcomed thing, but instead I am a little anxious.  It has been so cold for the last month, that the snows of December have been packed down under the horses feet into a very hard layer covering most of the paddocks.  A few days of mild temps accompanied with rain may turn that snow pack into an ice rink.

I am hoping we can keep all of the horses safe and up on their feet if the ice hits like I am worried it will.  Tomorrow we'll get some salt and sand ready - it is all we can do...  I am pretty sure a few bags of each would be like putting a bandaide over a massive flesh wound, but it's still better than nothing.

Tomorrow morning the new owner is coming to pick up the three suffolk ewes...

2 comments:

  1. Aw, poor horses and donkeys, and you! It's pretty dang icy in Wisconsin, my little sister slipped and fell on her butt today! Goodbye to the ewes! I hope they have good grazing where you are going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My good friend Ann from Ohio emailed to remind me that Kitty Litter is excellent in icey paddocks to keep traction... How is it that I forget these things from year to year!?!?!??

    THANKS ANN!!!

    Tayet - sorry to hear your sister fell - I nearly did the same thing!

    ReplyDelete