Sunday, December 19, 2010

Weekend in review...

It was a bit of a lazy weekend here at Ugly Dog's Farm...

On Friday morning we drove out to Imlay City and picked up a freshly mixed batch of sheep grain, followed by haircuts (the human kind) and then Sushi with our friends from Pitchfork Ranch at Sagano Japanese Bistro & Steakhouse in Flint...

Now to put this in perspective, understand that for the first thirty-some years of my life, I was a die-hard seafood hater.  There is something about the taste, smell and texture of most seafood that turns my stomach.   That said, I will try just about anything once (and some things even twice...) so when asked to go out for sushi a few years back, I was willing to try it (with absolutely no expectation that I would like it).  I was pretty blown away when I actually liked the stuff...  I mean, raw fish?!?!?  It's mind boggling even still.

Saturday morning started with 9AM morning ZUMBA!!!  I really love this excercise class - it is a cross between latin dancing, cardio-aerobics, and partying on the dance floor - how could one not love a party?  We then finished some Christmas shopping and went out for Margaritas with some friends.

Sunday was a very lazy day...  other than breakfast in town with friends and picking up some odds and ends for the family Christmas party later this week, we sat by the wood stove and watched movies for most of the day.  I fed the animals a little earlier than normal and we took a walk to the end of the road and watched the kids sledding on Toboggan Hill.
The hill is part of the 4500 acre park which is just across the road from us.  There are tons of non-motorized horseback trails traversing the woods, creeks, lakes, and hills.  It is an amazing resource which we are lucky to have so close to home.

The sheep are finally coming to the realization that their protests have fallen on deaf ears.  The tyrant farmers (Wayne and I) are not listening to their demands for 2nd cutting alfalfa hay.  Sometimes life is full of bitter disappointment.
The peafowl spent the day in and about the chicken coop - rations are good and plenty in the coop...   but don't tell the sheep!

3 comments:

  1. We will be bringing our sleds to use the sledding hill, had no idea it was there!!! You and Wayne will have to pull me there on a sled...

    ReplyDelete
  2. richard
    is that a real HEN HOUSE:
    ?
    if so......you spoil those hens!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. John, It is indeed... The hens really would rather stay in the barn though. :)

    ReplyDelete