Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Thumbs, Fists, and Kittens...

Waiting for lambing time has always been very exciting for me.  I have never been overly fond of the cold and dark winter months, but since we have been raising sheep, the winters seem to pass by with much less "seasonal slump" than before.

My good friend, Ann Simeral, from Ohio told me that each year while waiting for lambs to come, she and her husband Don will talk about how big the lambs would be as they are growing inside their dams.  This has given me a great visual image and I have pictured my lambs growing from nothing to the size of thumbs, then to fists, and next little kittens.

As I do my evening chores each night, I think about how many lambs we might have next year and when they will be born...  I think about which ewes are getting older and how they have contributed to my flock...  I look around at the replacement ewes we have kept and consider which of my old girls have produced those lines.  It is those old girls who have contributed so much that I wonder how much longer they will be with us.

We have spread out our breeding season this year so I am sure right now we have many thumbs, fists, and kittens growing...  There is a lot of careful planning, management, and good luck needed over the next few months to ensure they make it out safely!  Let's hope that we are up to the challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment