Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Wednesday in the SNOW!

It was a beautiful day here today...  I got home from work to news that the Clun Ram was a busy boy.  He was breeding U46 who will be three years old in March.  The group is pictured below waiting for their dinner. 
U46 is the one on the left with the rip in her ear.  If all goes as planned, December 15 breeding should yield May 11 lambs (give or take).

In addition to the Clun ewe lamb I wrote about previously (X42), we have also retained three Cheviot and one Natural Colored Merino ewe lamb from our 2010 lambs...  I took a few pictures this evening to share.
The Natural Colored Merino Ewe lamb is really starting to mature nicely.  Her dam has been an excellent mother and has lambed twins every year so far with no assistance, she also produces a beautiful 14 pound fleece annually...  I am very excited to have a daughter from her to retain for our brood flock.  Even more exciting is that I think the daughter is turning out nicer than her mother.
If you can read her expression above, she is saying "put down the camera and put the feed in the trough."

****************************************

The wind died down today and temperatures were in the low 20s, bright white snow on the evergreens makes the farm look like a winter wonderland. 
My favorite part of having snow on the ground is being able to see the tracks marking the activites of our dogs.  I am always amazed at how much ground they cover.  Here is a picture of Abby the Border Collie gaurding the Chicken Coop...
I tried to get some pictures of the horses in the snow, but by the time I got done feeding the sheep, dusk had arrived and it was too dark for pictures.  I guess I will save that for another day!

Stay warm and dry!

1 comment: